This video is for anyone thinking about studying to be a massage therapist or who is already a qualified and is thinking about going out on their own and starting a massage business. These are the pros and cons I have experienced in the past 4 years of being a massage therapist operating my own massage business. I thoroughly enjoy what I do but as with any job, there are positives and negatives. For me, the pros far outweigh the cons.
Pros and Cons of Being a Massage Therapist
Pros of Being a Massage Therapist:
- Opportunity for self-employment
- Responsible for your own job security
- Respect from others
- Opportunities to travel
- Great pay when work is consistent
- Rewarding – people are always happy to see you!
- Developing great relationships with regular clients
- And so many more…
Cons of Being a Massage Therapist:
- Lack of Industry Regulation
- Inconsistent work
- Lack of co-workers/comradery
- Time required to build a client base
- Need to learn how to market yourself which takes time
- Inappropriate requests from clients/potential clients
- Physical demand therefore limited number of work hours
I love my job, but you need to weigh up the pros and cons and make sure it is right for you before you decide to study/start up a massage business.
Please share your own pros and cons below!